Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Trying Something New - Embroidered Pockets

When I was in school, I always had a planner where I meticulously wrote everything down, and then took pleasure in crossing off the assignments as I finished them (and avoided looking at the ones I hadn't finished...).  I still love lists (perhaps you've noticed my WIP posts...never ending lists....:D  ) and usually have at least one going somewhere.  Plus a new one each day.  I do use the calendar on my phone, but there isn't the same feeling of scratching something off a list with electronic devices.
It's not a giant pocket, it's a small planner...
I haven't used a planner in years, but a friend recently got excited about hers, and I decided to test the waters with an inexpensive small one I found while I was killing time at Walgreens...  and now there are so many more cool accessories for them!  One of my favorite embroidery pattern designers, Buggalena,  has even come out with 'pockets' you can put on the planner to hold (all) your pens!  The pockets have a slot for elastic, so you can stick it on a planner (or notebook), and it also works as either a bookmark or to hold it shut!
I used some Space fold over elastic, but I do have some tardis elastic coming soon...
I really love the recent paper clippies I made, but since I'm sticking my planner in my purse, I don't know if they would really last!  I'm trying to figure out a way to put the paper clip completely behind the feltie so they are totally inside the planner, but so far nothing has really worked.  I may have to resort to magnets to hold them in place...like the cute bookmarks I found at Barnes and Nobles...and have no idea where they went...hmm....

Anyway, to make this pocket, I combined an embroidery file I found on etsy with the Darth Vader pocket (took off Vader).  The Tardis file is a little dense for the vinyl and I should have used some wss (water soluable stabilizer) to help it float on top of the vinyl, but other than that, I really like how it turned out!  I have a ton of other designs I could stick on the pockets, as well as all the ones she's released...just need some spare time!  I could see these on game books, planners, notepads, teacher grading books...what do you think??

The pocket is 3 layers of vinyl thick, so it's not going to rip or tear!  and still pretty thin, so if you take the pens out doesn't make a huge lump to write on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!