Friday, August 9, 2024

Illuminations Wanderflap Crossbody - ChrisW Designs (Pattern Testing)

ChrisW has done it again, this is another amazing bag! The Wanderflap Crossbody looks like just a stylish purse, but it has SO MANY FEATURES! 

It's even prettier in person!

Back, with a hidden quick access pocket!

How many features? SO MANY. First up is the fun front zipper pocket. I used one of my unicorn zipper pulls from the stash on this gorgeous bright purple zipper tape from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts.

Do you collect ceramic unicorns?
Then there is the back quick access phone pocket, which also works for keys or other items you need to grab.
I couldn't find my 'spare' phone to use to hold the pocket open.

Looks like an abyss....but it's just a deep and handy pocket!
The flap is great for featuring a small panel, or even some embroidery! The panel I used was a small one from Oh So Pretty Custom Fabrics, and I think it was the cup cut size, or possibly just a tiny panel. It was so perfectly sized! I couldn't find my thumb locks (and when I did, it was missing a screw), so I decided to use a swing lock on the flap. I use them all the time on my wallets, and they are so fun!
The black lock blends in nicely, at least in all the pictures!

Opened up, I remembered to change the direction of my flap so they are right side up!
Inside the purse, there is another zipper pocket, with a vinyl (or cork) overlay. It's nice and roomy, and is part of the finishing of the bag, but you don't turn through it! I found a perfect purple/magenta grunge fabric in my stash, I think it came from a quilt shop? 
I couldn't find the vinyl version of this fabric (which I'm 95% sure I have in the stash), so I went with a black swirl vinyl that doesn't show up in pictures AT ALL
The other side of the interior has a slip pocket with 4 card slots, and I have to say that those were the EASIEST card slots I've ever sewn! 

If I had read ahead, I would have known that the slip pocket gets hidden by the card slots, but I still like the contrast!
And the last feature, is the wrap around strap! If you've ever struggled to get your sewing machine to topstitch over connectors that are in the top seam of the bag, you will definitely appreciate the way this is connected! I used the Alex color seat belt webbing from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts for the strap, so not only did I save time since I didn't have to interface and fold/sew a strap, but it perfectly matches the zipper tape! The only drawback to the seatbelt webbing is is how slick it is. To help the strap stay put, I used a tiny piece of glitter vinyl sewn over where it would bend on the slider. The grippy vinyl gives it just enough resistance to hold the strap in place, and ends up hidden by the rest of the strap

Are you looking at my bottom?

Since the strap is only attached at the top and bottom, I could see using the side slack as a quick grab handle...but I probably should have added rivets to make it stronger.

Make sure you grab your copy of the new Wanderflap Crossbody pattern, it comes with a video and there's an optional SVG file for the pieces! I think it doesn't have the lining or front piece, mainly because they are bigger than most mats, but it has all the rest!
I kind of forgot to add my label until I started sewing the body together, so it ended up on the side. It's fine.

One last look at the pretty bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!