Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Pattern Testing - Phoenix Purse from ChrisW Designs

It's been a while since I had the opportunity to test a new pattern, so I jumped at making this bag! Unfortunately, I was still recovering from being sick, so I didn't quite meet the deadline...but the purse is finally done and the pattern is already released!  The Phoenix is a super stylish handbag, with both exterior and interior pockets, shoulder straps, and a cross-body strap (that I left off). 

I found a new spot to take pics, for a different look!

But the light box is better for getting truer colors and details...
Back of the purse
Since this was a test bag, I had free reign on picking fabric. Except when I was picking, I couldn't decide, so I asked for suggestions for a theme in my FB group and the first suggestion was to use a Ghibli inspired fabric. I absolutely love how delicate and pretty the fabric from Knitorious is, and I found a perfect coordinate vinyl in my collection. (See, buying random pretty vinyl from My Punkbroidery is totally justified!)

This fabric has a very fancy look to it, and the pink shimmery vinyl is a perfect coordinate!
The vinyl is even prettier in person!
The Phoenix has 2 side zipper pockets that were perfect for featuring some of my fun zippers from Sew Dulce and the gorgeous Night Mare zipper tape and rainbow hardware from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts. The pockets are only on the gusset end, so not huge, but perfect for keys or things you want to find fast!

Side pockets are so stylish

I used the outside fabric for the lining, which makes for a dark pocket...
Other side pocket
The top has a recessed zipper closure, which I love! I definitely need a zipper on the top to keep everything inside and secure.

A little fire guy for fun!
Inside, I used a shimmery quilting cotton that was a perfect compliment to the vinyl and main fabric! I have an friend/enabler at Something Quilty that will send me pics of amazing new fabric she gets, and then I have to stockpile all the amazing stuff...but it worked out perfectly for this purse! The pattern includes the instructions for a zippered pocket, but it would be pretty easy to add in a plain slip pocket, or the super cool Supplement A pockets (also from ChrisW, and there are instructions on making them fit perfectly in this pattern!) Since I was racing to finish, I left off the extra pockets. It is nice and roomy inside!
The dots of the lining are all shimmery printed! Not glitter, but not quite metallic either
I couldn't capture the shimmer, but I tried!
This pattern also has the awesome phone pocket, and it's pretty big. My giant Galaxy S22 Ultra fits in nicely, and if you don't want to stick a phone in there, it's a great quick access pocket! 

Peering into the dark abyss

Not my phone, since I was using that to take the pictures...
Phone all snuggled down in the pocket

The pattern calls for fancy purse connectors, which I never seem to be able to find in my collection (I swear I've bought them more than once!) so I went with the hidden connector style. There are some tutorials floating around, and I've only done them a few times, but I think I finally got it, and it really looks good on this bag!

It's pretty fancy!
The straps are also really fun, with a mix of vinyl and fabric! It's an interesting method to put them together, and so much easier with my double stick tape, like the pattern recommends. 
Look at how pretty those straps are! They almost line up in this pic, totally not planned!

This really is an awesome bag style! Make sure to grab your Phoenix pattern and share the finished ones in the ChrisW Designs fan group! 

One last pretty pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!