Monday, November 23, 2020

Evil Queen Moonflower Tote (Blue Calla) -- Moonbeam Textiles

For my second strike project for the amazing Mean Girls round from Moonbeam Textiles, I chose to do a fun tote bag.  The Moonflower tote from Blue Calla is one I bought ages ago, and couldn't find the perfect fabric to use with it.  This was the first time doing this pattern, and it was actually much easier than I expected, even with the fancy circle cut outs!

Slightly dark picture, to get an idea of the overall shape
The crown, centered in a circle

The original plan was to use a panel on one side in the focus circle, but due to a printer mix up, I only ended up getting the gorgeous Mirror, Mirror fabric and the grey villain stripes.  I still made it work, and I think I actually like this even better than the original plan!  

The big apple as a focus
 

The smaller apples were perfect for the side cut outs
I used black glitter vinyl from My Punkbroidery for the base and straps, and we won't talk about my wiggly strap stitching due to midnight sewing...(that's what I'm going to blame it on, seems legit)

I wasn't sure on this strap style, but now I kind of love it
I love the subtle skull overlay on the apples. The dark grunge look made it hard to photograph, but in person it's AMAZING!

Little skull apples are pretty awesome...

Inside, the tote has a slip pocket and a zipper pocket, and it closes with magnetic snaps.

I somehow had a perfect matching zipper in my stash...
 
Slip pocket has a rounded bottom to mimic the outside circles

The grey stripe has a damask underlay that would be perfect on an elegant little clutch or purse. I definitely need to snag more! The quilting cotton fabric is so perfect and soft, one of my favorites to work with!

Side pockets are nice and roomy, but I forgot to cut the tie pieces, so I skipped them.

Don't forget to place your preorder, the Mean Girls round closes on the 30th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!