Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Poe Quick and Easy Tote Bags

Sometimes I get requests for 'something' with a specific fabric or panel, and then I have to come up with ideas. This 'something' was for trick or treat type bags that used the fun Poe panel from Backstitch, plus they needed to be useful for after Halloween too! These were a quick turnaround item, so I somehow missed getting the 'nice' pics.  Instead, I'll walk you through the process for how I do custom orders!

Don't be a Scaredycat!
Actually made 2 bags!

Either the back, or the second tote bag, I forget.
First, I start with the customer's requests. Sometimes they have a specific pattern and fabric in mind, but not all the time. If they don't know which pattern they want, then they usually have at least a size or features they want. Once we have the pattern and features locked in, we go onto fabric. It's important to pick the pattern first to make sure I haven enough fabric. If they have fabric request, I start with coordinates and linings, usually sending a few options. For the simple tote bags, they only needed handle webbing and lining. After we have the options locked in, that is when I send an invoice. I don't start working on the order until it is fully paid, and up until I start cutting, the customer can change their mind on any of the features, patterns, or fabrics.

auditioning the webbing

The webbing was pretty easy since I had a coordinating rose print from Backstitch fabrics. For the lining, I try to find out colors or styles that appeal to the customer, and then pull a few options for them to pick between. I have thousands of fabrics (not exaggerating) and that is just too overwhelming for most people to pick out what they want! Sometimes we find the perfect one in the first shot, sometimes I end up sending about 30 options before they finally settle on one. 

Two of the lining options that met the 'spooky' vibe
Since this was a pattern I just made up myself, I actually decided to make a practice one with my non-custom fabric. For most orders, as long as I have used the designer's patterns before, I just jump in and cut stuff without making a test version. I live on the edge! 

Halloween Grogu fabric I couldn't resist

and more Grogu in the lining!
Once I get started on the real order, depending on how long it is taking, I send progress pics. For more complex bags, this might be to show off a fun feature, or get feedback on hardware or placement. Usually it's just because I get excited making it and want to share the progress! When I finish, I send a final pic of the order, sometimes it's a nicely staged one, but usually it's a late night quick snap. This is the final time a customer can give input, and make sure that the finished bag is meeting their expectations. I try to list all the features, fabric and hardware on the invoice, which I refer to when I start the order, but things can get missed.
They went with the cards!

Then I wait for the feedback when they actually have the bag in their hands, and I'm so happy when they tell me they love it, and I breathe a sigh of relief!

If you have any questions about the process, or would like to order your own custom bag, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!