Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Magical Cross My Body Bag - Pattern Testing for ChrisW Designs

Usually when I do a pattern test, I go for something fun and the easiest materials recommended for the project. Not this time! The Cross My Body Bag has instructions for adding quilting to your pieces, but I have a gorgeous pre-quilted vinyl from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts that I've been saving for something epic.

The light catches the glittery under layer and makes this vinyl AMAZING
Had to use my 'fancy' wand with this one, pretty sure it's Narcissa's
This is a mid-sized cross body bag, with some great pocket options, plus a nice and sleek style! It would be perfect for some of my smaller panels, or just a fun fabric, with or without the quilting! Instructions are included in the pattern for both ways.

When it's closed, you don't even know there's a pocket there!

Slim design
Since the vinyl actually has foam and a lining layer already attached, I skipped almost all the interfacing for the outside! It has a lot of structure, so I wasn't too worried about the finished look. I also decided to save time by using pre-made webbing for the strap. I love this Black Damask strap from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts! I used the 1 1/2" because I like wider straps for cross body. 

Check out that shine!

The design on this one is so pretty!

The hardest part was finding something to coordinate/contrast for the accent pieces. Then I had a lightbulb moment and dug into my heat activated Marauder's map fabric from Ait Said Creations and Fabric! It's so awesome and that led to me figuring out a lining fabric - tan Potter licensed fabric from the stash. It really made it a sneaky magical purse! 

Can almost read the map there...

Part of the school blueprints
I won't say how much time I wasted rubbing my hands on the map vinyl to make it appear...but it is super fun! 
It went back to black pretty fast

You need some pretty warm hands to make it totally visible
It goes solid black pretty fast!
This purse has some really fun features, like an easy access back phone pocket, and a hidden front zipper pocket! 
Easy access back phone pocket, nice and roomy!

It's a little snug with the #5 zipper, but the skinny zipper pull helps

Hidden front pocket

There's only one zipper pocket inside, but you could easily add in some slip pockets.

The zipper actually has green teeth!

The best feature is the recessed top zipper, that fully closes! Since my vinyl was on the (super) thick side, I had to skip the final topstitching, but it still looks nice and as you use it and grab the top edge, I expect it will keep the shape.

No chance for things to fall out!

This angle makes it more obvious it's recessed, I think.

Since this is sneaky Potter, I tried to use some fun zippers. The front pocket has a death eater symbol, top has a wand, and inside is the deathly hallows. It goes from bad to good! I know the Hallows and wand came from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts, but I can't say for sure where the other one came from...

It's really hidden in that pocket space, but I got a pic!

I stockpiled this style, use them all the time for my Necessary Clutch Wallets!

Make sure you grab your copy of the Cross My Body Bag pattern, or let me know if you want one made for you! 

Small adult mannequin for scale
One last pic, where the camera made the strap look blue-ish...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!