Thursday, November 2, 2023

626 Perfectly Clear Bag (ChrisW Designs) - Pattern Testing

I really tried to resist adding clear vinyl to my ever expanding collection, but it's just too fun! I'm so glad that ChrisW Designs came out with this super fast new pattern, it's going to help me make a (small) dent in my supplies! The Perfectly Clear Bag is SUPER fast to make up and only has a few pieces to cut, and if you use premade straps or webbing, it's even faster!

I went cute on this one!

With the strap attached

The other side, which looks very similar...
This bag is bigger than I expected!
The pattern gives instructions for using fabric for the handles, but I dug into my seatbelt webbing stash from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts so I could make it quickly. The best part is that it is a great match for their jelly vinyl, and zipper tape! It doesn't quite look like it in the pictures (camera was adding random coloring) but they really are a gorgeous light pink.  I used the Cherry fruit vinyl, and blush pink zipper and strap (pretty sure). I really hope they get more of the jelly vinyl back in stock, it's so fun and pretty!

The bottom with my 'wild' stitching to hold the decovil in place
The buckle D rings and connectors are also from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts, and I think it's time to stock up on more! I decided to do some 'action' shots with my Nuimo Stitch, my daughter calls this his Rick-roll style, with a beanie.

Climbing out

Oh no, he's trapped! or napping.

My clear glitter vinyl came from Backstitch, and I'm low-key obsessed with it...the glitter makes it extra amazing. 

Mostly the true color

The colors my camera decided it should be if I wanted to show the details the best.

The Perfectly Clear bag has 2 zipper compartments, detachable shoulder/crossbody strap, and is much roomier than I expected! The pattern is pretty simple, and sewing on the handle is what makes it into 2 separate zipper pockets. I might go ahead and add an extra rivet at the bottom to make that part more stable. Not sure how I made it slightly uneven, but it still stands up nicely!

It has a slight lean to the handle...
This was my first time sewing jelly vinyl, and what better time to learn a new skill than on a quick turnaround pattern test?? I really didn't have any trouble with it, but I need to remember to double check my topstitching before I move on to the next step because, even with a Teflon foot and bigger stitch length, I had a little skipping. Of course I noticed it AFTER the bag was totally put together, so I had to wrestle it back to try to fix those spots, which was a workout. 
My special method to make the machine have a 'free arm'. It's a box.

The Perfectly Clear Bag can be made with any non-fraying material, but it isn't lined so you want to make sure it has a nice backside. I went with the jelly vinyl for my back piece, to make the clear print really pop! You can do it all clear, but if it is printed you will see the back of the print from the other side.

Hello there!

For my strap, the seatbelt webbing is very thin and lightweight (but surprisingly strong), so it has a tendency to slip through the slider hardware. I decided to give it a little extra to catch on, so I took a scrap of my jelly vinyl and sewed it over the slider part. The scrap is totally hidden, but it gives it just enough drag to keep it in place. 

Just a little scrap. I do this with regular vinyl on my seatbelt straps too, whatever matches and gives a little thickness.

I think Stitch approves
Don't forget to grab your pattern here, or send me a message to make one for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!