Saturday, August 19, 2017

Pattern Testing - Bodacious Bowler by ChrisW Designs - Doctor Who Sunflowers

The newest pattern from ChrisW Designs is the Bodacious Bowler and it IS totally bodacious!! The classic shape is perfect for showing off fun fabrics, and as a bonus, there is also an embroidery pattern available to fit on the smaller sizes!
Van Gogh inspired sunflowers and a Tardis make for awesome fabric!
Did I mention it comes in THREE sizes?  The smaller sizes are adorable and perfect for a night out or for a child to carry, and the big one is BIG!  I made the large one because I wanted to use a fabric with a large print and it's nice and roomy!  You could easily do a Mommy and Me set with this pattern and it would be so cute!

There is a slip pocket on the outside, plus another slip pocket and zippered pocket on the inside.  The zipper on the top keeps it all nice and secure. On the top seam there is a phone pocket, nice and deep!
Fits my Galaxy S7 in a slim case easily
My original plan for this purse involved some baby blue vinyl accents, but we had 'words' and it is now in the time out corner.  Instead I scrambled and found that my hoard of cork fabric was a perfect accent.  I've been petting and staring at this stuff forever, but since it is so pricey I've been afraid to cut into it!  I don't know why I waited so long, it sews so much nicer and easier than the vinyl (my sewing machine likes to grab it and hold on instead of letting it glide through, even WITH the teflon foot!)  and it feels amazing!  The only downside is the cost! This cork came from Sew Da Kine, and I need some of every color!
The chocolatey brown cork is like sewing butter! Except less messy...
This pattern is a midway between the Easy Street line and the usual complex patterns, still a fast sew, but with a little more details and features!  It took me about an hour to cut everything out, including the fussy cutting to get the Tardis centered on the pocket and trying to use the fabric the best way to conserve it!  The fabric was a custom printed one from Snowy Owl Customs, and it is so fun and vibrant!  I'm not usually a fan of yellow but I love this one!

I think I'll start using mini yoda as a size comparison for my purses...as long as he doesn't wander off
I love all the colors that sneak in through the splatter look!
Inside I used a starry galaxy fabric that I picked up from Joanns (I think??).  It has a slight bit of golden glimmer to some of the stars.  It is a little darker than I usually like my linings, but it matched so nicely I had to use it!

Handmade bling from Emmaline Bags

Since I had the purses on hand, I decided to take some side by side quick snaps of various other purses for a size comparison.  The Daryl's Drive  is a little shorter and when it's squashed down, just as wide.  The Boronia Bowler is similar in size- height and width, but the Boronia tapers in at the top and is not as deep.  I'd also rate this one as easier than Boronia, there are still curves to sew, but the zipper goes in flat and the inside is fully finished since you turn through the pocket.
Bodacious vs Daryl's Drive - has a lot more structure, shorter straps, both have phone pockets

Bodacious vs Boronia - more room at the top, shorter straps, easier zipper
All in all, I really love how this one turned out, all it needs is a cross body strap to make it perfect!  I had planned a hack to create one, but I just ran out of time.  I think adding in a d ring on opposite sides of the zipper at either end would probably work great, or maybe even the strap anchors or bridge anchors from Emmaline bags would look classy!

I'm more of a cross-body/hands free purse person, so I guess I will let this one go to a home where handbags are appreciated....  if you'd like that to be YOUR home, check out the etsy listing!  Or if you'd like one of your own in different fabrics, feel free to contact me!

2 comments:

  1. This is so fab! Love this mix of the galaxy lining with the Tardis outer. I hadn't noticed the phone pocket before and think that is a pretty neat feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the external phone pocket, usually I have mine in a back pocket, so my keys end up there!

      Delete

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!