Monday, August 20, 2018

Silhouette Speedwell Sling Bag (Blue Calla)

I've seen several of these amazing bags popping up lately in various custom fabric groups, and while I did buy the Speedwell Sling pattern when it released, I just didn't have time to play around with it. 
This Rapunzel and Pascal panel is a perfect fit
Fortunately for me, a customer wanted to order one and gave me the perfect excuse to finally get it in my queue!  Since I live on the edge (of sewing) I didn't even make a tester bag before jumping in with my ONLY panel!  The fabric is from Backstitch and while they did just rerun the main Silhouettes fabric, the panels were only available once.  If I wanted to trade my soul, I could probably get another one, but even then, it's not a guarantee.  ;)
Back, showing off more of the awesome fabric and a Mickey strap
The pattern looks really complicated, but I really enjoy making Blue Calla patterns because she tests and thinks through her bags!  It is definitely an involved pattern, and I could do without the binding for the interior (hand sewing was the only way to make sure it looked nice), but the features and finished bag really make it worthwhile!  The hardest part for me was the vinyl I had to use.  It matched PERFECTLY, but it was some I bought early in my vinyl days and is super thick, and has a suede style backing. 
Front pocket and vinyl top

The bag has a main compartment that opens wide with a double pull zipper and 2 slip pockets.  The rainbow zippers were a perfect compliment!
Pretty zippers
Those are slip pockets, trust me.
The front has zippers on both sides of the focus flap, with a zipper pocket and another slip pocket.   It also latches shut at the top so if you needed to quickly close it, that would hold.  The gussets on the front flap also keep it from flopping all the way open and dumping everything out!
I had to modify the thumb lock connector since I only had larger ones in my stash, but it let me fix the centering on Minnie.
Looking from the top down into the front pocket
a little closer...

Lilo and stitch are peeking out
Alice on this side
Since the silhouette fabric must be hoarded at all costs, I included a pretty pink fabric for the lining - it has metallic brushstrokes on top of the bright pink and keeps the inside just as fun as the outside.
Batman expected it to be more his size, but he can handle it.
I tried to get every character I could on the bag, but there are a LOT!  I would love an excuse to perfect my technique on this bag, and I have a ton of other cute panels begging to become one of these awesome bags!  Be sure to join my FaceBook group to see some of the options!  I'm adding in new fabric all the time, and someday I might even go back and add in the older stuff from my stash, in my spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!