Monday, February 10, 2020

Honorable Strapfield Convertible - ChrisW Designs (Pattern Testing)

I've been (im)patiently waiting for this pattern to be ready to test since before Christmas (when she first started teasing us) and it was worth the wait!  Of course, once she was ready, my orders picked up so I had to bust through it in about one day!
Probably my favorite quote of the movie
Definitely a fun bag!
I wanted something striking and fun, so I used my panel and fabric from Sky Love Creations (custom fabric) and combined it with the uncorked red and a licensed Mulan print from my stash.  I feel a sense of accomplishment when I can shop my stash and get EVERYTHING I need for a pattern, totally justifies my collection! ;)
I prefer light lining fabric, seems like it is easier to find stuff inside!
The purse (bag? backpack?) is a pocket-filled one, with the outside having 4 pockets (and an optional 5th cargo style one), and the inside having a single zipper pocket, but could easily have slip pockets or even the pocket supplement A added in!
Inside zipper pocket
Since I was in a time crunch to finish before the release, I left off the cargo pocket and didn't add any extra ones inside.  I think it gives it a nice sleek look, but still lots of storage!
Nice and thin, but not TOO thin...could probably hold a LOT of stuff!
The front has a giant slip pocket you can divide in 2 and it even fits water bottles.  I made the small version, so it's not going to hold the giant water bottles, but I bet the larger one could!  The zip pocket is great for holding stuff you will need quickly, but also want secure. 
My 10 year old tried it on with the bottles and said it 'wasn't too heavy' so maybe I need to use it for field trips!
On the back, there is a hidden phone pocket that is probably could hold just about any phone because it is nice and roomy!
That's a galaxy s7, and there is a LOT of room around it
I really wanted to use some of my fun zippers, so I did a quick poll in a few groups to get feedback on what would be 'best'.  Consensus was the lighting bolt and the flower!  I love the awesome options from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts, and can't wait to see what else she creates!
Black and gunmetal zipper tape with gunmetal lighting bolt that is so shiny it looks almost silver in this pic
Black and gunmetal zipper tape with silver rose zipper pull.
Originally I planned on adding the cargo pocket, so I cut the panel for the back piece.  The good news is that the way the straps are set up, it can be worn with either side as the front!  However, if you add the cargo pocket, or carry water bottles, it probably wouldn't be as comfortable to wear the 'front' against your back. ;)
I love this panel, had to show it again. :D
It's really simple to convert from purse to backpack (pull the straps on the side of the bag) or to cross body bag (unclip from the bottom, clip to the top rings), and my youngest is already shopping my fabric stash because she wants one of her own!
Backpack strap style
Love the buckle D rings from Wizardry, Stitchery and Crafts!
Cross body strap setup

The best part about the Strapfield Convertible pattern is that it comes with 2 sizes! I made the small one, and it's still a generous size! There is even an option to get the pattern with a video to walk you through the construction!  This is a soft and slouchy style bag, with tons of style and options! I can also take orders for custom ones, and this one is going up for sale soon!
Top zips closed to keep everything inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!