Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Pretty Purple Begonia Drawstring Backpack (Blue Calla)

Continuing the Begonia theme, this is one my youngest picked for her teacher's gift for the end of school (in May...I'm a little behind on sharing). With the quarantine and everything, they were all virtual and we weren't even sure how we'd get it to her!  Fortunately they let us schedule time to go pick up the school supplies and say goodbye to the teachers. It was a bittersweet time since it was her last year in elementary and she didn't get to do all the fun 5th grade things like end of year field trips, awards assemblies, class parties, or even saying goodbye to her friends!

Un-squished

I let her pick out all the features and pattern, and since she knew her teacher liked purple and flowers, this batik was perfect! I wasn't sure about the contrast with the pink tooled vinyl from My Punkbroidery, but it perfectly matched the pink bits in the fabric and really stepped the bag up on the fancy level! I have almost every color of this vinyl, but I need to stock up on more!

I need to step outside my comfort zone more often, this one turned out so pretty!

Tying a knot means it can be adjusted for the wearer, but it's still pretty secure

In the interest of time, I used some premade bias tape for the straps. I sewed it shut and it was just like a drawstring.  

Love the roses!

The rose zipper pulls from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts were the perfect accent for this fabric! It didn't show up great in the pictures, but I also used the metallic light purple zipper tape!


Peering down, not very exciting...but a pretty color even with the flash washing it out

The lining is a grunge style purple from my stash.  I have a stockpile of various grunge fabrics, they add interest but aren't overwhelming and distracting from the main print.

The metallic light purple zipper tape kind of shows up here...
I really want to make a bunch of these bags for my shop next year, hoping I have some spare time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!