Monday, November 12, 2018

Villains Snowdrop (Blue Calla)

There are some fabrics I see in my groups that I think 'ooh, that looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure it will be popular,' and then I either don't order, or only get a small amount.  When it comes, I'm usually blown away and instantly regret not getting more!  These villains are some of that fabric.  It looked vibrant on my computer, but almost too vibrant to be real...but it's even MORE amazing in person!
Villains are more interesting!
 
This purse is the Snowdrop Satchel from Blue Calla, and it's a nice roomy tote/purse!  I bought the pattern a while ago for a swap and my partner ended up picking another style, so I was glad to have a reason to try it out!
Shoulder straps and a cross body strap, this is not a dainty purse!
The fabric is from Backstitch custom fabrics, and good luck finding it!  You might be able to find some on buy/sell/trade groups, but it is a limited run and not likely to go again any time soon.  The lining is some of my Effervescent, which I love the way it has ALL the colors of the outside!
Opens nice and wide!
Better shot of the colors, has a zipper pocket and slip pockets inside

The customer picked out glittery golden vinyl, which is just the too much clash with my normal silver hardware, so I talked her into the black/gunmetal color instead.  I love Emmaline Bags hardware, it's such great quality, and even though it ships from Canada, worth the wait!  The Handmade bling kind of blends in, but when it catches your eye, it's perfect!
Sorry, blurry because there was too much for my camera to focus on!
Zipper is from Sew Da Kine, but rainbow end is from Emmaline.  I love the metal zip ends, more professional looking than a sewn tab!
One modification for this bag was to make all the handles and straps detachable so it can be worn different ways.  The triangle connectors are really my favorite type of strap connectors because they don't slip around like rectangles can, and they don't hold the strap awkwardly.  D ring connectors also work, but they can slip sometimes.

Another modification was MORE POCKETS!  Since I'd never made the snowdrop before, I didn't have a good feel for what pockets would fit on the front.  This zipper pocket ended up pretty small between the straps and having a super deep pocket that you couldn't reach to the bottom (unless you recruited a kid with really small hands) made no sense.  I made it a tiny pocket and now it's the pocket is perfect sized for business cards, lip gloss, or even her essential oil bottles.
Tiny zip pocket
Part of the order was a matching essential oil key chain.  I can't use the oils (hubby can't deal with strong smells) so I had no bottles handy to test.  Unfortunately it ended up slightly too small to fit the bottle in, so I'll be remaking it as soon as I have an empty bottle to test the finished product!  This one would fit the long and skinny lip gloss I bet....
Maleficent fit almost perfectly!
As an added bonus, this purse even got to go to Disneyland and they sent me pics! I love seeing my stuff in the wild!
Only slightly jealous, I've never been to Disneyland!
I have more villains fabric left in my stash that will be available for orders in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!