Monday, May 22, 2023

Pew Pew Genevieve - Pattern Testing (ChrisW Designs)

This pattern has been around for a while, but when Christine decided to revamp it with updated instructions and pattern pieces, and re-release it, I jumped on the chance to finally make it!  The Genevieve is a roomy bag with some pockets, but not a pocket overload, so it's pretty fast to make!

My baby Ewok was a great model. He needs a name...

Against a light background, so you can see the fun shape better!

All opened up, love this fabric!
I haven't made a flap bag (some might call it a messenger bag, whatever) in a while, so I immediately went to my panel collection (it's not a hoard, yet) and dug through to find something that would look good on the larger flap. I came up with a few options, and let my FB group help me pick, and the Pew Pew panel from Ohana Fabrics won out!  I paired it with the gorgeous galaxy background Floral Wars from Knitorious Fabrics, and a fun licensed toss fabric for the lining.  

Back, would be super easy to add a slip pocket or zip pocket to this side!

Peering down
The Genevieve uses minimal hardware, so I went with a fun walker AT-AT zipper pull from Zor-Elle for the inside and these "it's the Claw" lobster clasps and buckle D rings from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts to give it a little extra style. I didn't get a good shot of the stitching, but I used celebration sewing string for the topstitching, which was a perfect match and a fun bit of contrasting accent. 
The best example of 'pew pew' I had in my zipper collection

Sometimes Silver is the best! 

To make this pattern faster, the strap is now webbing. I have a large collection of custom printed and various color of the seatbelt style, so this was the perfect opportunity to use something fun!

Galaxy strap matched so perfectly!

The lining is a cute print I found at Joann's a while ago, and nice and light colored so it should be easy to find stuff inside. (or at least a little easier...) There is a slip pocket inside that is divided into a pen slot and 2 pockets, plus a zippered pocket. 

I love the doodle drawing style of this fabric!

Inside slip pockets

Under the flap is another pocket, and a tiny pocket you could use for a small phone or something you need to find fast. My giant galaxy s22 ultra doesn't quite fit in with the cover on it, but a smaller phone would be a great fit! I think the next one I make will be about an inch wider, then my phone would fit.

Little pocket

The back of the bigger pocket IS black, I used the rest of the panel.

This bag is a good size, and would hold quite a lot! At least 2 baby Ewoks, if not more!
Nap time!

He was a great model!

If you already owned the Genevieve pattern, check out your files for the update, otherwise, be sure to grab it this week while it's on sale!

He hopped in as soon as I finished!

One last look, I wish I had more of these panels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!