Monday, January 29, 2024

Magical Books Strapfield (ChrisW Designs)

The Strapfield from ChrisW Designs is a pattern that looks somewhat complicated, but each step is clearly broken down and walked through, so it's really not that bad! I left off the front pouch pocket, but there are still a bunch of pockets available!

Front view with giant illustrated book for scale!
The request for this order was to feature the fun magical books fabric, which I had used for an earlier tote bag order. I only had scraps left from that first order, but I was able to get the fabric again on a preorder, so this purse was born! 
Back of the purse
I only buy 1 yard of a fabric when I'm adding to my stash since that is plenty for a single purse (usually), but when it is popular, I end up regretting that decision. This exact fabric came from a group that is now closed (Hushabye fabrics), but I have seem similar prints in other groups. I'm not entirely sure how that works, but I have seen some fabric groups with 'non exclusive' designs that they have changed background colors or arrangements of the design. The custom fabric world had a great explosion for a few years, and now it seems to be dwindling back to only a few companies still in business, which is going to make it hard to find some of my favorite prints to restock!
Hidden phone pocket
The Strapfield is a fun purse that transforms from shoulder bag to cross body to backpack! To accommodate this switching, the straps are designed in a pretty amazing way. Giant rings keep the straps in place, but also provide a place to clip the strap ends on for a longer cross body use. The straps weave through and pulling on the sides makes it into a backpack. I used my awesome "It's the Claw" connector hardware from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts that are both sturdy and fun. I didn't get any pics of it in backpack mode, but trust me, it's pretty nice.
Clipped onto the bottom ring

Side shot, with both bottom and top rings
The outside has 1 or 2 front slip pockets, a zipper pocket, and a hidden phone pocket on the back. 

Not quite a wand pocket

I'm pretty sure I didn't sew the front into 2 separate pockets, just one giant pocket with access on both sides

Wand for scale.

Yeah, the want goes across the entire front, just one pocket there.
Inside the front zipper pocket, pretty roomy!

Back with hidden phone pocket. I bet you don't even see it!

Oh there you are!

Top all zipped up
This fabric has a lot of fun accent colors in it, so I could use just about any color for the lining and outside coordinate. The uncorked fabric is  one of my favorite and I'm kicking myself for not just buying bolts of the colors I use the most! 
That's a pretty purple

Inside, there is another zipper pocket. You could easily add in a slip pocket, or even the amazing Pocket Supplement A that is a stand alone pattern. I used my awesome zipper pulls from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts to add in extra HP touches.
Deathly Hallows zipper pull

Roomy without being huge!

I love how different each custom order purse ends up, and I really enjoy the process of creating something unique that a customer falls in love with!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!