Thursday, October 15, 2015

Baby Jayne Hat. Pretty Cunning, don'tcha think?

I planned on making a hat for my nephew when he was born...a few months ago...but never got around to it.  Then my Sister in Law reminded me that she needed it, and requested a detachable beard.  So he can match his Dad.  Yes, my brother requested a hat to wear in Florida, when driving around in his little convertible.  He's special.  ;)  I can't wait to see pictures of the 2 of them in their hats and beards, but I'm really hoping it will fit since my 6 year old also can wear it!  Good thing my nephew is a big boy!

Bearded lady.


I followed the pattern here for an earflap hat, except I changed colors at row 7, and then when I did the earflaps I kept them as 12sc, for the 9 rows.  I also skipped the braids, but I added in a fun pom-pom.  I didn't do the final sc around the edge either since I would have had to change colors. 

Lap shot since I already sent it off without getting a 'good' picture.  Doh.

For the beard, I used this pattern for a Bobble Beard. The yarn is a red heart soft, so it feels nice against your face!  I used 2 little beard colored buttons sewn to the edges of the beard and they go through the spaces in the hat to attach.  I think next time I'll look for orange buttons so they blend into the hat!

The pom pom was done using my pom pom maker I picked up at Joann's, with the 3 strands of colors held together.  I love that tool!  it makes awesome ones every time, that only need a little trimming to even them up.  Just make sure you tie them TIGHT and you can even use them as water soaked balls to throw (which my children discovered when I first got it.  Finding a wet pile of yarn in the bathroom is always an adventure)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!