Monday, February 19, 2018

Cat-tastic Sydney Messenger Bag! (Swoon) And Professional Pouch

Following my pattern for making bags that feature a LOT of fun fabrics, this Kitty purse is definitely one for the books!  All the kitty fabric came from Dark Matter Fabrics (custom fabric) and more than half of them were out of print, so it was a struggle to find them all! Sydney (by Swoon) is great for featuring several different prints since it has a detailed front with a lot of pieces!
Do you like cats? A LOT?
With matching pouch!
Top zipper
Pockets gusset out to hold lots of stuff!
Batman surrounded by ... cats.
Going to pretend I did the pattern matching on purpose...
Back with giant slip pocket, perfect for papers and other stuff

This is the first time I've done this pattern in almost entirely cotton Lycra (stretchy) fabric, and it wasn't too bad.  I decided to do the gussets, bottom and strap in a normal (non-stretchy) fabric, just to give it a little more stability, and I interfaced every single piece with shape flex 101 fusible interfacing.  I also used 1 sided fusible flex foam to give the bag a lot of structure without making it heavy.
Pretty batik style fabric
This is a BIG bag! Batman could throw a party in there!
Even more kitties inside the pockets!

All of the kitties mostly go with each other, but the raspberry colored one didn't quite coordinate with the blues and purples so it went inside.  I think it's actually my favorite because the color is so pretty and saturated! (although it looks washed out in the pics since I couldn't get enough light inside...)  Since I had to buy yardage of each of these, I definitely will be making more with it, so be on the lookout for more fun cats!
Inside zipper pocket, CATS EVERYWHERE!
Inside slip pocket, divided to hold a pen plus 2 large pockets
I wanted to throw in a little something extra, since I felt like it took me FOREVER to gather all the fabrics and finally make the purse, so the Professional Pouch came to the rescue!  I love how fast this one is to throw together but still not loving how the instructions are written.  I feel like it could be much simpler, but if you've made zippered pouches before, it's pretty easy to use the measurements and pieces and go for your own favorite method of assembly.

Batman would fit inside...but not many of his friends could join him
Back is plain, but still shows off the fun fabric
Geo glitter vinyl from Punkbroidery is even prettier in person!
I'm also working on 'branding' my stuff, and I found this adorable feltie from Miss Meggie Designs that will make a cute hang tag!  It doesn't exactly match, so I think next I'll try them in white glitter vinyl... but for now the orange is still pretty cute!
Maybe needs the actual "Tiger in a Tornado" name on it somewhere...
I have several more Sydney on the order list, so I hope no one is getting tired of seeing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!