Monday, November 5, 2018

Modified Floral Wars Hosta Hobo (Blue Calla)

I prefer to follow patterns because the good ones have figured out all the problem areas, have been thoroughly tested and there are usually several versions that others have made and I can use for inspiration.  I love the Hosta Hobo pattern from Blue Calla, her patterns are detailed enough to be eye catching and well written!
Pretty front, the green glitter vinyl perfectly matches Yoda!
Front pockets, size from pattern

Could I figure out an entire pattern on my own, from scratch? Probably.  Do I want to? Only if I really have to!  I'd rather spend my time playing with the fabric and sewing than figuring out the measurements and features of an entirely new bag.  That being said, modifying existing patterns to have new features is actually pretty fun, as long as they aren't totally odd requests! ("Can you make one to dispense wine?" -  Actually, there's already purse patterns for that!)
Back access pocket

This request was to make a Floral Wars (custom fabric from Knitorious) bag that would carry a nursing pump.  After taking a look around the internet at the mass produced ones, I thought to myself 'Psh, it's not that hard, just need a zipper pocket that opens to the inside of the purse.' famous last words...
Kinda looks like it's sticking out its' tongue
It's like a hangar for your Tie Fighter...
Not only was I adding in the zipper pass through, I also was increasing the size to make sure that it would hold the pump and extra stuff.  I may have gone a bit overboard on the size, pretty sure it will now hold a toddler!
Compared to the Large from the pattern (left)
I made the purse at 123%, and let me just say that I seriously doubt wrestling a bear would be more work than trying to get this thing under the foot of my sewing machine.  There were a few times I wished for spare arms, and my seam ripper got quite the workout whenever the weight of the purse pulled it too much.
General idea...ended up recutting the center piece to be 3/4" longer but the same width/curve
After much deliberation and pondering, I finally figured out how I wanted to do the pocket and how it should work.  After much seam ripping and recutting of a piece (and a new zipper half), I finally got it to actually work!  I ended up making a facing piece for both the lining fabric hole and the outside zipper hole.
Attempt #...I lost count.... at making it fit. Zipper crinkle was too much to make it easy to operate, not quite an epic fail, but close.
When I had everything put together, I hand sewed the lining facing to the zipper facing, mainly because 1) I couldn't get that under my machine and 2) I had a lot more control of how it would sew together.  My hand sewing is nothing to write home about, but practice with the stuffies has improved my ladder stitch, which makes a nice hidden stitch (when done right), and black thread on black fabric really helped!  I'm a strong believer in matching my thread to fabric, there are too many random wiggles my machine will throw in to use contrasting thread!
Backpack straps pull the top closed, but not too bad to wear!
Could be worn with the strap clipped at the top for a cross-body, but that is a REALLY long strap.
This bag also has adjustable straps that can be clipped at the bottom to make it a backpack.  As big as it is, this is probably a good idea!  I can't imagine how much it will hold, but that won't be light!
Trying to get a shot of a black interior is not easy...
Inside is glow in the dark Star Wars ships fabric from my stash, probably from Joann's.  Since the pass through took up most of the side, I put both slip pockets and the zipper pocket on one side of the lining.  It was a sewing miracle that I didn't accidentally sew my zipper pocket short since I was working late at night trying to get it finished up!
The swirl part is actually the slip pockets
The bottom was so big I added in an extra pair of purse feet.
I haven't said I'll never make one of these again, but I definitely need a break to forget how painful it was...kind of like labor!  If we remembered how bad it was, no one would have more than one child.  ;)  This one really pushed my schedule back trying to figure it out and putting it together, so now it's time to get cracking and finish the remaining orders!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!