Monday, September 16, 2019

Watercolor Nakoa Convertible Bag (Sew Da Kine)

When I first saw this bag style from Sew Da Kine, I fell in love, and impatiently waited for it to be released as a pattern!  She finally had some time and put it together, so I snatched it up right away, hoping for time to make one for myself.
I even remembered to use my handmade bling!
Gorgeous zipper bling, now being sold by Wizardry, Stitchery and Crafts!
Since this was my selfish birthday sewing project for this year, I went all out and used both the gorgeous cork fabric and some of my hoarded bits of the Backstitch Silhouettes.  I do have a little more in my stash, but I need LOTS MORE!
Gorgeous cork from Sew Da Kine, I need more purple!

I knew I would want even more pockets, so I made a few changes to the pattern.  I added in a back slip pocket that was constructed the same way as the front pocket, but without the middle divider.  I may go back and add a snap or something to keep it from gaping open, but I'll see how it works first. 
Princess fabric from my stash, courtesy of Joann's
Zipper pocket
For cross body the straps have to be the longest, but pretty short for shoulder/backpack. Getting good at adjusting!
I also added in a zipper pocket inside and then decided to increase the strap width since the smaller ones seem to cut into my shoulder.  Unfortunately I didn't take into account how it is constructed, so I had to go back and modify one end of a strap so that I could fit it into the opening.  After that crisis was averted, it was smooth sailing.
I kind of forgot to add in extra interfacing, so the top is really squishy/floppy.  I might need to do some reconstructive surgery...
There were already a lot of pockets included in the pattern, the front has 4 total pockets, 2 are kind of hidden under the faux pocket bottom!
In front of the other pocket, great for my business cards!

Now that I've made one, I can do better fussy cutting on the next one!  It all worked out, but not as perfectly as I hoped. 
Ariel and Aurora
Cinderella, almost chopped her head, oops!
Alice, Genie, Aladdin, Tink AND flounder!
Right side up Aurora, Ursula, and the Cheshire cat
I was able to feature almost all my favorites, Rapunzel nearly got left off since I was cutting into the scraps and had to get creative!
Rapunzel on the very top of the bag, almost didn't fit!
The best feature of this bag is that it converts to a backpack!  I love cross body style, but after a while my shoulder will start getting sore (maybe I shouldn't carry so much junk...nah.)  This one I barely notice I'm wearing when I have it in the backpack style!  I think I want to add in another set of magnets to the bottom pockets to keep them from popping up so much, but maybe the next one!
Tried to get a shot of the convertible backpack form, not really clear
Recruited a child to photograph it on me...better?
I can make more of this style bag, it's perfect for me and I've been using it daily for over a month now!  My custom orders for Christmas are almost completely full, but next year is wide open!
My precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!