Monday, October 9, 2017

Owl The Love - Fiona's Freeway

I finally finished the Fiona's Freeway from ChrisW Designs - only about 3 months after I planned, and a month (or 2) after the sew along...it wasn't a hard project but my time is in high demand!  (Totally not due to procrastination...probably)


Cross body adjustable strap, great for almost every size!
This one was for a teacher's gift and when I finally was able to deliver it (...last week....), she LOVED it!  The cool thing was that she told us she realized she needed a new purse that day on the way to school.  :)  Her classroom is ALL owls, so we knew she'd love the peek of owls in the lining, but they aren't overwhelming in case she gets tired of them at school all day. 
The fabric is called 'Happy Flappers' but getting harder to find now!
For this one, I let the youngest choose the fabric and she pulled out some of my Effervescence stash, and some adorable owl fabric.  We were torn on either some light pink or the blue glitter vinyl, and after much deliberation, the blue won out. The hardest part of this one was probably sewing on the round bottom, but staples really helped that along!
The Effervescence fabric has a really neat boarder print to it, so I had to try to get it on the flap at least!
Under the flap, magnetic closure and handy outside zipper pocket
Inside is a zipper pocket and a slip pocket, plus some accents of the outside fabric!
Nice and roomy inside!

I was worried about trying to punch the hole through all the side seams, mainly because my leather punch is somehow not very straight (I might have bent it trying to go through too many layers at once? Time for a new one!) so I skipped rivets on this one and just sewed the connectors.  My sewing machine didn't stick too bad to the glitter vinyl, but I still took my time and also glued them down first, just to make sure they weren't going anywhere!
After I had it squished to dry the seams flat...it puffed back up but I was careful not to make a crease!

Once again the rainbow zippers from Sew Da Kine were perfect for the colorful fabric!
Rainbow everything!
Check in next week for the other teacher purse, also finally finished and delivered!

2 comments:

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!