Monday, September 20, 2021

Lizard King Bee Balm Backpack (Blue Calla) - SWD Fabric

This is a double first for me, first time using this awesome fabric from Snow Willow Designs, and first Bee Balm Backpack from Blue Calla! Actually, triple first, first time stitching up these fun designs from String Theory Fabric Art!!

Rawr!

Under the flap. I think the next one I'll skip the grommets and go for a real cord lock

I've had grommets and the tools to install them for quite a while now, but after my fray check went a little goopy, and I had to rip out a few of the grommets to redo them to catch ALL the layers...I think the next time I make this I'll just do the all fabric drawstring cover instead. There are directions to make a 'cord lock' style piece, but with my thin cording it doesn't work as much as a real cord lock would, so I might end up replacing that if I can find one in the right size in my stash (it's a bottomless stash that has the strangest hardware, so there's a possibility I DO have one...)

It opens up nice and wide!

Lighting has been wonky every time I tried to take pics, so I gave up and used my little light box. Underside of the flap
This is a backpack, not a convertible or purse or anything fancy, so the straps are sewn on and not going anywhere. They are adjustable and don't have dangling ends, so that's pretty nice.

Straps/back

This is a pretty big bag, but the front adjuster doesn't let it be super full and closed. Might modify that on the next one, too.
I was super excited to get a chance to sew up this geeky fabric from SWD, and you can order your own now! It's on preorder through the 9/27/21 so don't wait too long to fill your cart! There are a bunch of fun 8-bit monsters and different color options! The big kid panel was perfect for the flap on this backpack.

I even added in one of my new tags!

The Bee Balm is a small backpack that you could shove a LOT of stuff into. There are 2 outside zipper pockets that I added on some awesome embroidery from STFA. The embroidery is a collaboration, so there are several that coordinate with the fabric! I used the posh book design for one side, and the 4x4 lizard on the other side. The pockets fit a 5x7 design, as long as the design has the 5" direction as the height.

This is from the Posh book design, just left off all the extra steps
4x4" design, fit perfectly!

Looking down into an outside pocket, roomy!
I somehow don't have any matching zipper pulls for this, so I went with a simple circle zipper from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts, with gunmetal zipper tape. I almost went with an Eiffel tower, since the shape is the same as the tower on the fabric, but I wasn't sure if Godzilla ever destroyed Paris...

Sometimes simple is best! Not usually my motto, but looks very nice here.
The lining is a V & Co starry ombre fabric I had in my stash, the dark blue shading almost perfectly matches the dark fabric, and it gives it a little bit of fun inside! The backpack has a giant zipper pocket used to turn the bag and 3 big slip pockets. My camera seems to add lint to everything (I swear it's not linty!) and really highlighted the wrinkles that are must going to be part of this bag since the style is 'jam it full and crunch it all up until it closes' for a grab and go bag. 

Slip pockets of the exterior fabric. Don't mind the wrinkles, this is meant to be a slouchy bag so I gave up on ironing them out.

Nice and roomy zippered pocket

Don't forget to order your own 8-Bit monster fabric before the round closes! 

One last look, it's such a fun bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!