Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Magical Newspaper Speedwell Sling Bag (Blue Calla)

I am always amazed by how the Speedwell from Blue Calla turns out! There are many pieces to it, but that really lets me customize every piece of the sling bag. The woven panels from Backstitch fabrics are usually the perfect size to feature on the front flap, and there is a lot of hardware on this bag, which is perfect for adding fun touches!

This panel was the perfect size!

I used tooled vinyl from My Punkbroidery for the base and grommet area, giving it a little bit of a protected base plus a LOT of style! It's really hard to photograph the vinyl but trust me, it's pretty amazing.

Just a bit of the vinyl peeking out

This bag has lots of pockets and storage! Inside the front area is a slip pocket and a zipper pocket, plus the grommets let you stick a charger cord or wired earphones through. I used a grunge purple fabric to give a pop of color in the lining!

Better view of the vinyl, plus the pretty purple lining!

Luna glasses zipper pull from Wizardry, Stitchery, and crafts
The front closes with zippers on either side and a twist lock on the top that helps to secure the main section as well. I love the fun themed twist locks, but they are not cheap! I have just a few in my collection, so I'm hoarding them for the super fun bags like this one! The zippers all came from Wizardry, Stitchery, and Crafts, and the twist lock came from Level Up Hardware.
Snitch zipper pull hiding in this pic with all the fun stuff going on

I love the antique looking silver metal! The details show up better than in the shiny silver

The main section has 2 more slip pockets, plus it is a double zipper so you can open it it just a little or a lot! I changed the pattern to make it fully finished inside, instead of binding like the pattern calls for. Binding and I do not have a good track record, so I prefer to change it up when I can.

Peering down into the main compartment

I love the Hallows zippers

 I used the rest of the panel to make the strap
I love all the details on this fabric, you can actually read the stories!
Trust me, if my camera had decided to focus, you would be able to read them!

I'm so glad they re-ran this fabric at Backstitch, I don't feel as bad cutting into it! Be on the lookout for another blog post, featuring the other Speedwell that was part of this order!

One for each park!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!