Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Brandt's Boulevard Sew Along - Step 5 - Inside!

Now that you've taken time to admire your finished exterior, time to get started on the hardest part!
My nearly finished inside, when you finish this step,that will be all sewn together!
The good news is that it really isn't THAT hard, just need to pay attention to you seam allowances, make sure things are straight, and don't be afraid to pull out the seam ripper if things look a little wonky!
Yes, the label IS larger than the piece, but you have no idea how many times I've lost zipper tabs in the past...
First up, zipper pocket.  Pay attention to the smaller seam allowance on this one, it does make a difference!
Double stick wash away tape is amazing for zippers.
The phone slip pocket is pretty easy, but when you line up the zipper pocket on top of it, you may need to change to a stronger needle (jean, leather, microtex) to get through that top edge where you are sewing through a lot of layers.  To prevent needle breaks, I usually hand crank it through or sew really slow.
ready to be sewn onto the body!
Once again my clear rulers saved the day to make sure that my placement on the inside body was correct! I though I cut my fabric square with the pattern, but it apparently was printed on an angle on purpose.  That really messed with my head until I realized what was going on!
I swear, the pocket IS straight!
Sewn on
The card slots are not that bad to put together, just take a minute before you start and figure out which one you want as you 'top' one that will be the one seen.  That one gets the topstitch sewn, but no outside line drawn on it.
The 'back' card slot is NOT topstitched

When I put the card slots and backing together, my topstitching went crazy, so out came the seam ripper!  It could have been due to the fact I was watching Sherlock at the time, or maybe I was just tired since it was getting closer to midnight...either way, Jack the seam ripper got some action.  The ID card pocket is much easier to sew if you use your teflon foot and a sticky note (or tissue paper) behind it to keep it from sticking to the bed of your machine. (sorry, no pics, it was late and I was tired.)

If you've made it this far, you are almost done!

Timeline:

Step 1 - prep (should be done - buying and reading the pattern)
Step 2 - gather supplies (should also be done - be sure to jump in the group and share your fabrics!)
Step 3 - cut out the pieces, interfacing, and fuse it all together - Try to finish this by Wednesday!
Step 4 -  Outside and wrist strap (optional) (Thursday/Friday)
Step 5 - Inside pockets (Weekend/start of the week)
Step 6 - Put it all together! (Thursday)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!