Sunday, March 24, 2019

Brandt's Boulevard Sew Along - Step 6 - Put it all together!

This is where the real magic happens!  Now that you have inside finished, it's time to get this wallet DONE!
My finished wallet!

Try to stick to the seam allowances here, it's going to be important!  Before I trim it down, I flip it right side out and double check that I caught everything when I sewed the edges.  It's not a difficult flip since the entire end is still open, but it can save you some grief!
Just inside the seam line!

This is the first time I've used Decovil in a Brandt's Boulevard since it was always either impossible to find or SUPER pricey!  I found a bolt at walmart.com and decided to splurge!  It is such a different feel than the peltex, but the results are pretty similar.  It is much denser but also feels different.  I've seen it described as 'leathery' and that's about the best description.  Before I put it in, I checked the size to make sure it was at least close to correct.
Pretty thin, but feels nice and stiff!
When doing the final press, before topstitching, I put my hand ON the ID window and don't move it.  That keeps me from getting the iron too close!
I have ironed myself before, but after screwing up a few wallets at the final step, I'm willing to take the risk!
I did have to redo my topstitching when it went rogue, but now I feel much better about it!  If you have issues with the top stitching, try a longer stitch length, sharp needle (I use microtex sometimes to get through all the layers), and taking a break. 
Installing the final piece
My tongue (press) lock had a fold over piece to install it, so I use fray check to give the fabric a little more strength.  I really like the screw on ones because I think they look even nicer, but I keep forgetting to order more until it's too late.

Done!!
Your wallet is now done! Give yourself a pat on the back and sit back to admire it!  Congratulations!  Don't forget to share your finished one in the Sew Along group and the regular ChrisW designs group!  We love seeing them!



Timeline:

Step 1 - prep (should be done - buying and reading the pattern)
Step 2 - gather supplies (should also be done - be sure to jump in the group and share your fabrics!)
Step 3 - cut out the pieces, interfacing, and fuse it all together - Try to finish this by Wednesday!
Step 4 -  Outside and wrist strap (optional) (Thursday/Friday)
Step 5 - Inside pockets (Weekend/start of the week)
Step 6 - Put it all together! (Thursday)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!